Monday, January 11, 2010

Metro Muse Review

I headed to Washington, DC to check out Metropolitan Muse Concert Series for the first time despite the hour long drive in the cold. The show featured some of the best unsigned talent in DC and solidified my idea that the DMV is a goldmine for talent. For the quality show that the people received it’s amazing that they only charge $10.

Presented by Desiree Samira Entertainment, Inc., the concert series just kicked off its weekly Wednesday (Jan. 6) night showcase at Layla Lounge. I was there doing my usual networking routine: making contacts, handing out business cards and checking out the scenery. Good vibes, good networking and good times. But what’s more important is the music right? Listed below are some performance clips along with my thoughts. Enjoy!


I didn’t know what to make of DyRec. He had a nice flow but I got more image than talent. He has the look if that’s what the industry wants these days but I needed more of what he can do lyrically. I’m not saying he doesn’t have any skills, but he needs to display it. Here he performs his joint “Party By Any Means,” which was reminds me of a party hit from the 90’s. I can’t necessarily say that’s a bad thing considering the music I here on the radio today.



Poem-Cees have some good stuff indeed. They were VERY entertaining, both lyrically and performance wise. The Spoken Word duo managed to keep the crowd engaged and not bore them with watered down rhetoric. I mean they actually put on a better show than I see most rappers do. But it’s probably because they are distracted by their own ridiculous personas; rappers just don’t put time into performing a good show. Clearly Poem-Cees don’t have that problem. Here they perform their joint “Cheatin.”



It was my second time seeing Terrence Cunningham perform and I like what he has to offer. He has a good appreciation for music and a nice voice. Check him out as he does a cover of Prince’s “How Come You Don’t Call Me”.



I have no idea where she came from, but where ever it is they produce some good singers. Midian really has a strong voice and can grab the audience attention. I am very anxious to see what she will do in 2010 and I would love to see a collaboration between her and Terrence (make it happen ya’ll). Here she sings her song “Back to You”.




Kyonte’ is on his way ya’ll. He has a good voice and stage presence. Plus, from my understanding he writes and produces. The R&B world is definitely in for a treat. Check him out as he sings his joint “Can’t Let You Slip Away”.






~Bobby Marvin
Hue Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment