Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Re:Union Mixtape (Review)



Yeah man they're here, Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek have come back as the duo Reflection Eternal. Starting the year off right with a tester before the release of their new album Revolutions Per Minute. Reflection decided to give a reminder of their own (sorry Hov, real recognize real) with The Re:Union Mixtape mixed by Statik Selektah (this dude got some good stuff, look out). Comprised of 30 tracks including a few new joints from the upcoming Reflection album, solo efforts, and classics.

I am happy to say nothing has changed. Reflection's marriage of dope rhymes and beats actually make you take rap music seriously again. I mean SERIOUSLY. Tek is still nice on the boards and Kwe is still has a strong argument on why he is one of the best underrated emcees.

On Revolutions Per Minute he taunts the sucker MC's aiming for his spot:

My competition is fierce/ I can see them in the rear/ But objects in the mirror are smaller than they appear

The beats are official but they do not do ALL the work. Meaning if you can't spit it was going to show. Roc Nation artist J.Cole received his second nod from me for his performance on Just Begun, which also featured Kwe, Jay Electronica and Mos Def.

Statik's "The Thrill is Gone" feat. Kweli and Styles P was great with the samples from B.I.G's Flava in Ya Ear remix verse. The Ghost took the time to address a few wrongs and convey how hip-hop lost itself somewhere between the hunger for success and greed. He kicks off his verse with:

Too many vultures in it/I think Nas said Hip-Hop is dead cause he couldn't see the culture in it

I mean just to hear the two premiere emcees on the same track is a beautiful thing. It kind of brings me back to a time when Public Enemy, NWA, and 2 Live Crew co-existed and balance was in the music.
I'm very picky when it comes to my hip-hop, so I expected to be satisfied. My only disappointment is the album doesn't drop until March. Hey, as long as they bring the madness like NCAA, I'm good.
For now you can download The RE:Union for FREE.99 at www.yearoftheblacksmith.com.

-Bobby Marvin
Hue Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment